Inlays & Onlays
What are inlays and onlays?
Dental inlays and onlays are used to restore the tooth after it had been partially damaged or fractured. Dental Inlays and onlays are cemented in or on the tooth rather than being filled into the hole left after the decayed material is removed from the cavity. Inlays and onlays are made in the laboratory and are custom fitted to your teeth.
What Is the Difference between an Inlay and an Onlay?
Here are two ways that inlays are different from onlays. First, inlays are made to fit within the interior of the affected tooth, while onlays go over the surface of the tooth. Second, an inlay is smaller than an onlay to cover the same tooth. Our doctors will examine your tooth to decide whether you need an inlay or an onlay to repair your tooth.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
- Preserve healthy tooth structure
- Strengthen a damaged tooth
- Protects weak areas of a tooth
- Seals teeth to protect from bacteria
- Doesn’t discolour over time (stain resistant)
- Durability (add to crown and bridge these qualities)